Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Winter Salad Inspiration


Some winters I'll go weeks without eating an actual salad. Without ripe tomatoes around, it's easy to become uninspired! But I do believe that a fresh-looking and tasting salad is still possible, even without much planning. The best part about this salad is that everything (including the lettuce) had been hanging around in my kitchen for over a week! The only fresh ingredients are the lettuce, carrots and green onions. Items like chickpeas and almonds are great pantry staples that store forever and easily punch up a salad, plus they both add protein! I store the rest of the chickpeas in their canning liquid in a container in the fridge.

Grocery list
  • Lettuce (bagged, of course)
  • Carrots
  • Green onions
  • Cheese (not used here)
 Pantry
  • Nuts
  • Beans
  • Dressing
Directions

This is less of a recipe than it is just general salad inspiration. I'd love to hear other ideas of pantry items to easily mix into fabulous winter salads...Craisins, anyone?

Yield: 1 salad
To bring: plastic container

--
Questions about the cooking method? Please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment