Thursday, August 18, 2011

Cool, Effortless Lunch: More Yogurt


Fellow lunch eaters! I haven't posted in a while, mostly because all I can bear to whip up in the morning in the summer heat is what you see pictured: good old yogurt and fruit, which I've blogged before. I've been switching it up of course, adding different fruits, nuts, pepitas, etc.

My newest favorite trick is great for "beating the heat," as they say. I know fresh summer fruit is all the rage, but I'm a huge fan of frozen fruit. Besides being cheaper and easier to prep, the biggest bonus is it's cooling power. I threw both of these together in the morning, and despite a commute involving a 20 minute sun-soaked walk from the train, they were still frosty when I ate 'em three hours later (sans refrigeration. I don't know why...my office has a fridge, I guess I'm just too lazy to walk by it in the morning!)

I used Trader Joe's (pesticide-free!) frozen blueberries in the first batch, but blueberries are great frozen even if you've bought them fresh. There's no additional prep! The second cup with frozen mangoes and fresh strawberries required a little more prep, but only about three minutes worth.

Grocery list
  • Tub of plain yogurt (my fave is TJ's European Style)
  • Frozen fruit
 Pantry (all optional)
  • Almonds or other nuts
  • Sunflower or pumpkin seeds
  • Honey or agave nectar
Directions

You know the drill. I like to partially fill the jar with yogurt before adding a little fruit so I don't lose any valuable yogurt space to the air trapped in between the fruit. But do it however you like :-)

Total time: 1-3 minutes
Yield: 1 servings
To bring: canning jar or other leak-proof container

P.S. Since I am apparently having difficulty posting here consistently, I've taken my thoughts on lunch and other nutrition matters to the micro-blogging sphere. Find me on Twitter at @DianaKRice! But I'll still be back at Things to Bring often enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment